The Pangos Best of Alaska League tipped-off on Sunday afternoon September 20th at the Arctic Recreation Center (Anchorage AK) and we got a good look at 50-plus prospects from the “Last Frontier” state. Coaches from Alaska-Anchorage and Alaska-Fairbanks were on hand evaluating prospects. The league runs for a full week and concludes next Sunday September 27th.
Alaska has an underrated history of producing future “diamond in the rough” high major talent like Trajon Langdon (Duke/NBA), Carlos Boozer (Duke/NBA), Mario Chalmers (Kansas/NBA), Devon Bookert (Florida State), Kamaka Hepa (Texas), Daishen Nix (UCLA signee/NBA G-League Path) and JT Thor (Auburn). Almost 300,000 of the state’s 750,000-plus residents live in Anchorage and the city is much more ethnically diverse than most in the Lower 48 realize.
Full length video re-plays of all 3 Pangos Best of Alaska League games on opening night (as well as the rest of the upcoming league nights) are available from Baller TV: https://www.ballertv.com/events/pangos-best-of-alaska-league
Below is a look at several of the top players that made an impression on opening night.
* Cortarius Mingo 6’4” 2021 West Valley (Fairbanks AK)
Well-built WG can really fill it up from beyond the 3-point arc as well as finish at the rim. Excellent student (3.5 GPA) scored 16 points on the league’s 1st day and is also a very good passer. Legit D1 prospect followed Sunday’s effort with a 17 point (5 “threes”) performance on Tuesday night.
* Isaiah Grant 6’5” 2020 Dimond (Anchorage AK)
Grant is a strong & athletic forward with nice ballhandling skills in the open floor. Still available player would be a great late get for JC or post-grad program in need of team depth. Member of Dimond High School’s 2020 state champs has mid-major potential worthy of developing.
* Hasaan Herrington 6’0” 2021 East (Anchorage AK)
I was tipped me off prior to the start of league that Herrington was a player to watch and I did take notice. Strong combo-guard has deep 3-point range and the strength to absorb contact. Herrington scored 18 points in his league debut and followed that with a nice 23 point (4 “threes”) effort on Tuesday night.
* Quinn McHenry 6’6” 2021 Monroe Catholic (Fairbanks AK)
McHenry is a sharpshooting WF with a quick trigger-release. Excellent student (3.9 GPA) had 11 points (three “3s”) on opening night.
* Benito Carter 5’10” 2023 Anchorage Christian School (AK)
Carter isn’t one of the biggest guards here but he is arguably the quickest and toughest. Benito is hard to contain off the bounce, can finish at the rim and is a very pesky defender. Benito had 15 points on Sunday night.
* Caleb Franciscodobbins 6’4” 2022 Dimond (Anchorage AK)
Young and active WG with nice length can defend multiple positions. Good looking prospect had 17 points on opening night.
* Malachi Bradley 6’1” 2023 Monroe Catholic (Fairbanks AK)
Bradley is a strong and active combo-guard that had 21 points in his 1st league game.
* Jaren Miller 6’1” 2021 Grace Christian (Anchorage AK)
Miller is a very crafty guard and very good student (3.5 GPA). Miller had 15 points on opening night and an impressive 22 points on Tuesday night.
* Maguire Hamey 6’6” 2023 Dimond (Anchorage AK)
Hamey is a sturdy and skilled young combo-forward that is a very good student (3.5 GPA).
* Jahbez Sellers 6’4” 2021 East (Anchorage AK)
Rangy wing slashes well to the cup. Sellers had 15 points on opening night. Grandfather now living in Anchorage is a Philly native.
* Damarion Delaney 6’0” 2022 East (Anchorage AK)
High scoring combo-guard had an opening night league-high 23 points (4 “threes”).
* Reece Ivanoff 6’5” 2021 South Anchorage (AK)
Big wing can score in a variety of ways and has deep range on his jump shot. Produced 19 points (3 “threes”) on opening night.
* Bishop Tosi 6’5” 2021 Bartlett (Anchorage AK)
Undersized but physical PF really defends and can score on traffic. Terrific student (3.9 GPA).
* Daekwon Houston 6’3” 2023 Anchorage Christian (AK)
Slender WG is a very good slashing score that is always in attack-mode.
* Mekhi Womack 6’3” 2022 Eagle River (AK)
Wing guard has feathery touch on his perimeter jump shot.
* Dylan Westlake 6’0” 2023 Service (Anchorage AK)
Dylan has nice 3-point touch – had 18 points (4 “threes”) on opening night.
* Willie Zamora Jr. 6’0” 2023 East (Anchorage AK)
Confident PG with excellent 3-point stroke (connected on 3 “threes” in his league debut). Zamora’s hot shooting continued Tuesday night – scored 18 points (4 “threes”).
* Tyriq Luke 6’0” 2022 Lathrop (Fairbanks AK)
High scoring guard had 16 points on Tuesday night.
* Zach Williamson 6’3” 2022 Service (Anchorage AK)
Athletic WG can finish in transition.
* Jayden Voliva 6’1” 2021 East (Anchorage AK)
Athletic combo-guard can finish above the rim.
* Stephen Farthing 6’10” 2022 Eagle River (AK)
Raw and still developing center moves well and is solid on the boards.
* Traivar Jackson 6’6” 2021 West Anchorage (AK)
Strong PF is active on the glass.
* Jeremiah Hersrud 5’10” 2021 Colony (Palmer AK)
Savvy PG with nice passing skills and cerebral decision-making.
* Des’Laone Cook 5’9” 2024 Raven Home School (AK)
Very young point guard knows how to command an offense and has impressive court instincts.